Who We Are
Lutheran Campus Mission Association (LCMA) is a mission society affiliated with The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, established to encourage and empower people of faith in academic communities to make disciples of all people (Matthew 28:19-20), bearing witness to the gracious love our God has for us.
LCMA works with districts, congregations, groups, other RSOs and individuals to connect college/university students to nearby ministries; provide training, networking and community-building opportunities for campus ministry leaders and student leaders; and offer education and resources in peer ministry, leader development, disciple-building and outreach for students and ministry leaders.
The mission of the Lutheran Campus Mission Association is to equip leaders to make disciples who make disciples on campus.
Significant Factors Shaping LCMA
1965. The LCMS in convention places campus ministry under the Board for Mission Services, recognizing its mission value.
1965-2003. This investing in and promoting ministry on college and university campuses continued in many forms over the years, including establishment of an Office of Campus Ministry as well as a Campus Ministry Task force to help facilitate ministry.
January 14, 2003. The Campus Ministry Task Force was given responsibility of the Office of Campus Ministry; including helping establish the Campus Ministry portion of the World Mission budget (Lutheran Student Fellowship, Campus Missionary Institute, Confabulation, International Student Ministry Missionary, etc.) During 2003 the Task Force was encouraged and assisted by LCMS World Mission to form a mission society that would continue to work in partnership with them in campus ministry.
February 9, 2004. The mission society incorporated in the state of Michigan with the name “Lutheran Campus Mission Association” (LCMA).
March 24, 2004. Lutheran Campus Mission Association’s Bylaws were adopted.
2004-2010. Formal partnership with LCMS World Mission
- June 4, 2004. LCMA entered into a formal partnership with LCMS World Mission, with the expressed purpose of working together to stimulate, encourage and support outreach, discipleship and leadership development among college and university students, as well as among faculty and staff in academic communities in North America and around the world.
- September 2005 to June 2009. As part of the partnership with LCMA, World Mission called and supported the work of a Campus Mission Catalyst (Rev. Greg Fairow).
- September 16, 2008. Since LCMA was commonly known and referred to as “LCMS Campus Ministry,” LCMA, with the encouragement of World Mission, filed formally to “Do Business As” (dba) “LCMS Campus Ministry.” LCMA used this designation to promote campus ministry on behalf of the LCMS.
- Fall 2009. LCMS Campus Ministry (LCMA) applied for status as a Recognized Service Organization (RSO) of The LCMS through LCMS World Mission. Jon Jensen began serving as Executive Director.
- April 22, 2010. LCMS Campus Ministry was notified that the organization had been accorded RSO status by The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. LCMA’s five-year term of service began on this date.
January 2013. LCMS Campus Ministry returned to using Lutheran Campus Mission Association (LCMA) as its identifying name at the request of the administration of the LCMS.